Thursday, August 23, 2012

South Africa


South Africa,
We left Felix Unite around 10 in the morning and all of us were gitty. We have been traveling for around 5 months, and South Africa was going to be our 17th. The border crossing was really easy, no searching, no money, just paperwork. Rosie couldn’t make the journey to South Africa because she is registered to GB. So Felix Unite dropped us off at the border and a minivan picked us up at the border. We all packed in like sardines and took off towards Stellenbosch. We arrived in the evening and we all separated to two dorm rooms. I stayed with the boys because I knew this was the last of them we will see. Cecilie and I took off to walk the town and came across a coffee and good food joint called Mugg and Bean (unbelievable) I hate this yuppy potato and squash Thai contraption and my first Mocha in 5 months.

The next day we all took off to a 5 winery tour. I wish I could tell you all about the wineries, the wine we tasted etc. The truth is we drank from 10 to 1700hrs. I never got drunk, but I was overwhelmed with wine. I had to constantly check my lips from the purple kiss of red wine. That night most of us went out to a pizza restaurant with the boys to have one last dinner with them.

The next morning we loaded up in the minivan and took off around 1030 to Cape Town. We arrived at Ashanti hostel around noon. We checked in and within 10 minutes I dropped off my stuff in my room. I shared with Cecilie, Talbot, Jareb, Sarah, Nico,Denise and an unknown traveler. The rest of the people had another room. They separated us for the length of stay we were staying. Cecilie, myself, and Jareb were all going to a different place the next day. After I dropped off my stuff, we ended up walking a cold and wet 45 minutes to V and A waterfront. Jareb, Nico, Cecilie, Sarah, Denise, and the boys and I. We walked down long street and window shopped. We were all so excited to have our week off shopping and rejuvenating ourselves. We stopped at Cape Union Mart (REI type camping store) did some looking around then ate our final lunch with the boys. We said our goodbyes, hugs, and encouragements. They left to meet with Rhys granny. I can’t tell you how much I loved those guys. For being 18 they were seriously the brightest, young adults I have ever met. They love life so much. I only wish I was half as smart as they were at that age.

The next morning Cecilie and I took off to middle of the city to Hotel Cape Diamond, and Jareb got his road bike and took off. Because the weather wasn’t very good we went to V&A waterfront to do some shopping. I snooped and ended up seeing Safe (movie). Cecile did some shopping but we knew we had to go to Canal Walk mall to get the stuff we wanted. Cecile is buying for her trek to Kilimanjaro.
 We woke up to beautiful sun on Monday and took off on foot to walk up to the cable cars for Table Mountain. It took us a good hour and a half to walk to the cable car, and another two hours to actually get to the cable car. It has been the first nice day for a week and everyone had the same idea. Table Mountain was absolutely spectacular. Probably one of the most stunning views I have ever seen. Completely took my breath away.

The next day it rained all day so we did our big shopping day. I bought a camera case, and a new lens canon wide angle 28-135mm… The thing cost more than my camera, but all good lenses do. I also bought a cheaper warmer sleeping bag. Please note that if you are planning on doing this Trans Africa that Africa is cold, and a small down 0/10 degree Celsius flip sleeping bag is useless. Bring a good down sleeping bag, one that can go at least a -2 comfortable rating. I bought a cheaper synthetic sleeping bag, but I really had to. Between Morocco, and Namibia I have had too many cold nights. I really hope my new one will be better.

The next day I was on a plane at 1000 to fly to Port Elizabeth to visit with my Dad and his family. I arrived around the same time that Dad did. He showed me around his school and the house I grew up in. We then drove to Cape Saint Francis and had a great day evening there. I flew home the next day in the evening but felt like it was a short but very sweet visit. I am so glad I got to share it with my Dad rather than by myself. The last time I have been back I was 4 years old.

The rest of the week in Cape Town was just as rewarding as the first. I never did make it out to Simons Town or Robben Island (all boats out there was sold out for a week) but I drank coffee, ate sushi and food I have been missing. Saw movies in at the cinema, and completely relaxed myself.

The last night we checked back to Ashanti, because we were leaving the next day.  Later that evening 7 of us (Denise, Cecilie, Nico, Talbot, Sarah, Keith (Sarah friend), and myself) went to a Argentina vs South Africa Springbok rugby.  All I can really say about the game was it was really boring and I had no idea what was going on. If you don’t know much about rugby I wouldn’t suggest wasting your money going. All I could think of us how often I dragged my ex-wife to the Seahawks when she had no idea about football…. Sorry if you are reading this.  That night I called it an early night and read my Kindle yuuup that right, my 3rd kindle but hopefully my last. This time Moriah bought me a case logic case, and then I bought a kindle case that went inside of the case logic case. I can’t be too careful this time.

The next morning we took off to go back to Namibia and wait for Suse for a few days who had to drive another truck. Once we loaded on the truck I met the 4 new passengers joining us. Cheri, a 63 year old American from Oregon, Kev a 39 year of from Liverpool England, and Fred, and Alexis Father and Daughter 70 & 20 years old from  Vancouver Island Canada. After a long drive to the border we made it back to the very posh but beautiful campground Felix Unite.
We spent 4 nights there relaxing, reading and waiting for Suse to arrive.  









No comments:

Post a Comment