Friday, March 16, 2012

Gibraltar, and Morocco part 1.


Alarm woke us up at 0300 and Jareb, Brittany, Denise, Maria, Talbout, Nico, Tony and I were off to the airport to catch our flight to Gibraltar. We took an Easy Jet, which probably was one of the most uncomfortable plane rides ever… getting off the plane in Gibraltar we met with all the other passengers. Ben and Steph, Sarah, Rhys, Toby, Brian, Carlos, and Suse (our driver)… There we go, this is everyone. Suse took us to our Truck, which we named Rosie. She is about 10 years old and about as basic as it gets. Our original truck got seized going through Syria, and so African Trails had to get Rosie out of retirement. Suse let us know that there is no point crossing to Morocco tonight, because by the time we get there it will be late. We spent about 3 hours walking around Gibraltar. We then drove about an hour away to Tarifa, Spain. This is where we got the ABC's about our trip, we also were informed that the group in front of us was in a section of Mali which they weren’t supposed to go to and one passenger got murdered by Taliban. Suse, our driver, told us she was going to be 100% honest with us. At this time I definitely had second thoughts. I looked around at the campground, the truck and the people, and thought "what in the Fuck was I thinking, doing this for 8 months… Is it too late to turn around and go home?" That night I skyped a friend and she gave some really good words of advice and I woke up the next morning rested and knew I had to make the best of it.

Rosie


Passenger guide..

Tony
65
German
Angola
Talbot
28
Aussie
Whole thing
Carlos
40
English
Ghana
Ben
31
Aussie
Ghana
Steph
30
Aussie
Ghana
Brian
29
Danish
Ghana
Jareb
29
American
Whole thing
Ryece
18
Aussie
South Africa
Toby
18
Aussie
South Africa
Brittany
27
American
Whole Thing
Maria
28
Irish
Whole Thing
Denise
26
Irish
Whole Thing
Sarah
33
Aussie
Whole Thing
Nico
23
Canadian
Whole Thing
Suse
33
Aussie
Driver




After closing down camp, we drove about 40 minutes away to where the ferry crosses into Morocco. I thought the ferry crossing was awesome, but not for everyone. The waves were huge and Sara and Denise got very sea sick.

The border crossing into Morocco only took about ½ hour and was very easy. We drove to the campground in Tetoun. We arrived early enough that we spent the day going through the markets and city.

We left early and drove to the remarkable city of Chefchaouen. Through the whole city, streets are painted blue. It is also known for large amounts of hash. We arrived at noon, set up camp and then Ryece, Toby and I left to explore the city. We walked around and explored for a bit. We ended up meeting up with Ben and Steph, who were eating lunch. By the time lunch started Jareb, Brit, Brian, and Tony all joined us. We had a 3 course meal for $6 US… I think I am starting too really like it here in Morocco. After lunch Ben, Steph, Jareb, Brit and I walked around the city. Ben and Steph are journalists who also have tons of knowledge about cameras so we spent the day taking pictures and playing with our SLR cameras that all of us bought not really knowing how they work. Chefchaouen is by far one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. Truly remarkable! Ben and I bartered with a guy selling Jalabiyas (wizard suits). I bought a blue one which I’ll use for Seahawks games and Ben bought a brown one. We bought them for 150 each (less than 20 dollars). We found out later that some other girls bought theirs for 500 each. So I say we got a good deal. Ben, Steph and I left the group to buy a pillow and beer. In doing so, we observed a girl get run over by a car, she got up and started crying and limping badly. I rushed to help her. I got her to sit down and keep her leg straight. Once I did this, all the locals grabbed her and forced her to walk on it. At this time, the amount of locals that were helping, I knew I couldn’t help so we decided to take off. We walked around and found this unmarked restaurant/ building that had beer for sale. Morocco is 90% Muslim and alcohol is forbidden, so it’s easier said than done.
After we picked up a 6 pack, we took a taxi back to the campground. I somehow ended up buying Hash from a local. I ended up smoking my first blunt ever and first time getting high in 11 years. Hash was very mellow and not nearly as bad as I remember.
Jalabiya 

Chicuan




We left for Fez/fes the next day, which is known for its tanneries and the largest medina in the world. Fez was a 7 hour drive. Our first long drive day of the trip. Arriving here was a nice feeling. We have two full days here which we will spend walking the medina, doing laundry and I will be buying a blanket because nights in Morocco are freezing cold. I really thought it would be much warmer. I didn’t bring enough warm clothes.
So far the first night in Fez has been the most entertaining. After warm showers Ben, Sheph, Nico, Brian and I walked to the local Wal-Mart type of store which we were informed was a 10 min walk. We also heard it had beer. The walk took us 40 minutes with cars buzzing right by us. Once we arrived I bought a pillow case, and beer. Nico bought a pillow, Ben and Steph bought two mattress, and beer. Brian bought some hard alcohol. We waited around for 30 minutes for a taxi, and no one showed. A local guy in a Jetta stopped and told us he will take us to the campground. We put the mattresses and beer in the trunk. Steph and Ben got into the front passenger side (I should mention that Ben is 6’3 probably 220-240) myself, Nico and Brian were in the back seat. This guy who drove us was a riot. He was smoking a blunt, blaring Arabic music. A few times I saw an image of the local newspaper saying 5 idiot tourists got into a car with a stranger who drove them off a cliff. We did arrive safe, and sound.
The day in Fez was very entertaining. We had a guided tour who took us through the medina stopping at shops where our guide would make a commission. This is all part of the process, but thankfully we had a guide because there was no way any of us could have found our way to the tanneries. If we did then there would be no way we could have gotten out. The medina was the biggest maze of local shops and street food. After the day ended we must have walked 6 miles. The tanneries were the best part. It was absolutely amazing how they dyed the leather. From the outside looking into the city, you would have no way of knowing there was a huge tannery. That evening we did a 5 course traditional meal with a very cheesy touristy show. The guided tour and meal cost $13 US dollars… Again I am loving Morocco. 

Roman Ruins on the way to Fez

Jewish cemetery in Fez  

Fez



Tanneries 



1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic adventure! I love that you are blogging. And surviving! XOXO

    ReplyDelete