Thursday, March 8, 2012

London



So I consider myself to be an experienced traveler, as I have been traveling most my life. Today I made a rookie mistake which almost ended my trip before it really started. I landed in London and took the tube to green station. There I transferred to the light blue Victoria line. I got off at the Pimlico station, stopped at the crossroads of St. Georges Sq. and Rampayne. I looked left... all clear and I took a step in the street. I completely forgot that the British drive on the left side. I hear a loud hand, a few screams and an old fashioned taxi cab almost made me eat his bumper... What a newbie I became.
for us idiots


I arrived at the hostel around 8 o'clock where I met with another fellow Trans African overlander named Nico, from Edmonton, Canada. Nico (short for Nicolas) is a 23 year old civil engineer. Nico and I decided to walk to one of London's tourist traps called the EYE... 




After finishing up with the Eye, we walked to the Big Ben tower. From there we went to watch the guards at Buckingham Palace. 



London Continue

 Met with two more travelers on the Trans Africa, Brittany and Jareb. Both of them I instantly got along with them and glad that they are going to be on the trip. Myself, Nico, Jareb, and Brittney went to the British Museum. We walked around and saw the Rosetta Stone, Samurai Armor, Parthenon sculptures and about 1000 more antique artifacts.



Rosetta Stone 

Nico and I left Jareb and Brittany to walk back to the hostel, while we went to Madame Tussauds. Madame Tussauds is a wax museum full of replicas of celebrities, movie characters, torturer chambers, rides and super heroes. It was a lot of fun, very crowded, but worth every penny.



Day 3... Last day!

Brittany, Jareb and I walked to meet one of Brittany friends, about 3 miles away in the center of town. For anyone who knows me, they know my sense of direction is complete shat... Well I will be pleased to let everyone know that I got us to Garden Covent without getting us lost and on time.  Jareb had to take off to a meeting and Brittany and I met her friend and her husband. We decided to eat lunch. What I didn't know is her friend's husband owns 26 restaurants in London, 25 of them are a sushi joint called Wasabi and the other one is a very nice 4/5 * Korean restaurant called Kimchi. We ate a 4 course traditional Korean feast. It was unbelievable.

Bibim-Bap



Later in the evening I told a friend that I would look for the graffiti artist Banksy... After asking around  for a couple of hours no one knew who he was or if they did they had no idea where his work was located. I finally found one person who knew where one piece was. I took the tube to Oxford Circus and walked about 1/2 mile and found the Fallen Shopper... I now understand why he is my friend's favorite artist. Amazing work considering he uses a spray paint can.


Banksy


Tomorrow we leave for Gibraltor, then ferry across to Morocco... from there who knows when I can update this.


No comments:

Post a Comment