Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Gabon, Congo, and the DRC


Gabon, and Republic of Congo

Both countries were basically transit countries. We stayed 4 days in Gabon and didn’t do much. The highlights of Gabon were driving past the Equator. It’s the first time since Equator that I have been in the southern hemisphere. Everything seems a little different, a little turned around, or just opposite. The starts and the weather have all changed. The whole time in Gabon and Congo we free camped. Every spot was a previous spot where construction workers would use to take gravel for the road. In Gabon another highlight was Albert Schweitzer museum. Albert was a leading doctor in West Africa for elephantidous and leopardcy. His hospital had crazy old instruments, and work areas. We spent about 3 hours walking around.

Congo there was no real events. The first two days were on dirt and dusty roads. Everything we owned was covered with dust (moon dust) The first two days we didn't even go through a town that sold bread. On the 3rd day we hit pavement (I could have kissed the ground) and drove to the most expensive town in West Africa, Pointe Noire. We stayed two nights in Pointe Noire. The first night we arrived late, and the second day we spent shopping and messing around. I found a nice ice cream spot that I must have spent $20 on 3 different kinds of ice cream. First time in months I found cookies and cream (my favorite)...
The next day we spent four hours crossing into a 100km stretch of Angola owned land. We arrived at the border at 10 and left at 2. We spent it reading and filling out paperwork. We drove to Cabinda which is a pretty big city. We stayed at a Catholic mission which surprisingly had hot water. There was an ocean out in front of the mission and the boys and I decided this could be the last time we swam together so we took a very cold and refreshing swim in the ocean. We were supposed to spend just one night here, but ended up spending two. We woke up to cross into the DRC. We stopped at a market for food, and bought two days’ worth of food then drove an hour to the border only to find out that the DRC border is closed for a holiday. We drove back to the mission and had a unexpectedly relaxing day. The boys and I swam again. A few of us walked around the city of Cabinda, but being Sunday everything was closed. I did find a super market, and before I knew it I spent $12 on 3 bars of toblerone candy. That night we find a local bar that reminded me of a block party. It was on a dirt road with music blaring and locals dancing. I along with about 5 other unexpectedly got DRUNK… I broke my cardinal rule of no drinking on travel days especially border days.

I woke up to a pounding headache and the reality that I may be throwing up while crossing the border. Good thing is that I had 5 other companions sharing the same feeling. By the time we got to the DRC border I was feeling better, but not great. Note to self (I should not drink I get hung-over way to easy).  The border crossing to the DRC was long, and the people were more hostile than any other border. Most people who see my tattoos want to touch it or ask me about them. Here it seemed that they all wanted to fight me. I decided after 20 minutes of drunk locals talking shit to me in their local language that it was time for me to stay on the truck.

 Crossing into DRC was nothing like I imagined. For the last 4 months we heard stories of the DRC being the worst roads imaginable, taking 6 days to go 60km. I guess the good news is the roads weren’t bad and we made it to Matadi in two days rather than a week with only one free camp. To be hundred percent honest I was really looking forward to be stuck in mud on a one lane road with huge bogs and each truck pulls the next one out. Oh well, I guess its not rainy season so maybe next time. We spent two nights in Matadi, and our next stop in the actual Angola. I am actually looking forward to this country that I know absolutely nothing about. 








1 comment:

  1. I don't even remember how I found your blog... probably through a link you posted on a travel review site (I'm looking into doing African Trails' 27 day trek from Capetown to Dar es Salaam) . But anyway, just wanted to let you know that I've been reading through it for the last couple hours and I've been entranced. Sounds absolutely amazing despite the troubles and sketchy individuals you have encountered along the way.

    I look forward to your future posts. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete